What is CSA anyway? CSA is stands for Compliance, Safety, and Accountability. CSA was designed by the FMCSA to measure safety by carrier through data driven compliance with the goal of preventing CMV crashes, injuries, and fatalities.
A carrier’s safety scores data is collected from roadside inspections, crash reports, investigation results, and registration details. The scores are then updated through the FMCSA’s Safety Management System (SMS) website. These scores are updated on a monthly basis.
This data is broken down into seven different categories. These categories are called Behavior Analysis and Safety Improvement Categories (BASICs) and they cover:
- Unsafe Driving– Dangerous or careless operation of a vehicle including unsafe driving practices like speeding, improper land changes and failure to wear a seat belt
- Crash Indicator– History of crash involvement based on state-reported crashes (not publicly available)
- Hours of Service (HOS) Compliance– Incidents of vehicle operation by drivers who are ill, fatigued or in noncompliance with HOS regulations including driver log violations
- Vehicle Maintenance– Mechanical defects and failure to make required repairs as well as improper load securing
- Controlled Substance/Alcohol– Impaired driving through the use of alcohol, illegal drugs and misuse over the counter and prescription drugs
- Hazardous Materials Compliance– Unsafe or incorrect handling of hazardous materials including leaking containers, improper placarding and missing shipping papers (not publicly available)
- Driver Fitness– Vehicles operated by drivers who are unfit due to lack of training, experience or medical conditions
The scores are actually a percentage. The scores are basically telling you the percentage of carriers that are better. So, if a carrier scores a 90 that means 90% of all other carriers compared are better.
When choosing a Drive Away Carrier you may only be thinking about getting your truck moved fast and cheap. However, selecting a safe truck transporter will cost you less money and headaches in the long run. Damage due to unsafe driving could cost you sales and even the cost of a truck if the truck transporter being used does not have proper insurance. Good scores are not only an indicator of safety, but also how well the truck transporter is managed.
Here at Team Drive Away we pride ourselves on being the most reliable truck transport company in the business. Not only are we reliable we run safe and we are not afraid to show you the scores!